Sunday, August 17, 2008

KEDAI






This is KEDAI, a little cafe that i own in Kemang - South Jakarta. Against most recomendations, i decided to do everything myself for a more personal touch instead of goin through the conventional route of hiring a 'restaurant consultant'. Including designing the interior.
Kemang is a very fancy schmansy neighborhood, where modern minimalism rules. But i myself am not big on minimalism.

I want KEDAI to be have a very relaxed, homy feel without going too traditional. To have an edge, without being trendy.

In the big picture, i try to give it a lofty feel. Why? because lofts feel spacey. I leave the plaster in the high ceilings and floors unfinished, and leave big spaces in the middle so people dont feel crowded in.

I've always loved kitschy and vintage stuff, and those elements are evident in the details, like the old indonesian film posters and other wall hangings you will find.
And colours. I love incorporating colors that you dont think will work together, but actually do. Clashing bright hot tamale red with pastel green, and bubblegum pink. I'm quite happy with the colours.


As for furnitures and lightings... they're aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll recycled from used objects, sceond hand furnitures, and refunctioned everyday objects. I went hunting all over the city for old woods to make tables and cup hangers, and found more than i expected.

I had a lot of help from some amazing handymen and my amazing powertool mother during the making of this cafe...


...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your cafe looks so BEAUTIFUL! I wish I could visit.

sugar and cream said...

wow, this is a fantastic place.

this is in indonesia?

Kartika Jahja said...

thank you much...
well you never know, maybe one day you can visit us.

yes, this is in indonesia. lots of cool places here.

Ade Putri Paramadita said...

I'll drop by sometime soon. The cupcakes look scrumptious! Ada wifi, Tik?

Anonymous said...

I love your entire vision for the cafe! I agree that when you give a place a personal, real touch, it is FAR more wonderful and inspiring than any place designed by a cookie-cutter consultant. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

beli sendoknya dimana ya kl boleh tau yg utk lampu? aku coba cari dmn2 ga ada yg spt model itu, makasi y....